2018–2019 academic year: September 3, 2018, to July 19, 2019.
All basic and secondary schools (Grades 1–12) must operate within the period from September 3, 2018, to July 19, 2019.
- This calendar stipulates the minimum school calendar. Schools are encouraged to conduct academic and extracurricular activities outside of these days.
- Early childhood education (ECE) schools are encouraged to operate for a longer period. (See ECE Academic Calendar for more information.)
- Market days, bereavements, or other events must not stop schools from operating.
The Ministry is distributing full printed copies of the academic calendar. However, you may click here to download the electronic copy.
All private, faith-based and parochial schools are required to operate for the dates set out on in this national calendar (though they may operate for a longer period). Non-government schools must submit their instructional academic calendar and information sheets to the Office of the District Education Officer for approval by the County Education Officer.
- July 21, 2018 – August 31, 2018: Registration
- August 24, 2017: National Flag Day
- August 30 –31, 2018: Orientation
First semester: Monday, September 3, 2018 – Friday, February 8, 2019
First marking period: Monday, September 3 – Friday, October 19, 2018
- Monday, September 3: first day of school
- Wednesday, October 3 – Friday, October 5: National Teachers’ Week
- Thursday, October 11: International Day of the Girl Child (working holiday)
Second marking period: Monday, October 22 – Friday, December 7, 2018
- Wednesday, October 24: United Nations Day (working holiday)
- Thursday, November 1: Thanksgiving Day (national holiday)
- Thursday, November 29: W.V.S Tubman’s Birthday (national holiday)
- Wednesday, December 5: International Day of Persons with Disabilities
Third marking period and exams: Monday, December 10, 2018 – Friday, February 8, 2019
- Friday, December 21 – Wednesday, January 2: Christmas vacation
- Thursday, January 3, 2019: Classes resume
- Thursday, February 7: last day of first semester
- Monday, February 11: Armed Forces Day (national holiday)
Second semester: Monday, February 18 – Friday, July 19, 2019
Fourth marking period: Monday, February 18 – Friday, April 12
- Tuesday, February 12 – Friday, February 15: semester break (continuing professional development activities encouraged)
- Monday, February 18: first day of second semester
- Friday, March 1: African School Feeding Day (working holiday)
- Wednesday, March 13: Decoration Day (national holiday)
- Friday, March 15: J. J. Roberts’ Birthday (national holiday)
- Friday, April 12: National Fast and Prayer Day (national holiday)
Fifth marking period: Monday, April 15 – Friday, May 31
- Thursday, April 25: World Malaria Day (working holiday)
- Tuesday, May 14: Unification Day (national holiday)
Sixth marking period and final examinations: Monday, June 3 – Friday, July 19, 2019
- Tuesday, June 11: World Population Day (working holiday)
- Saturday, June 16: Day of the African Child(working holiday)
- Tuesday, June 26: World Drug Day (working holiday)
- Friday, July 19: last day of second semester
- Graduation dates are contingent on the release of WAEC and WASSCE results